Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Post Holiday "Baking"

I love rum balls, but not just any rum balls. I want to have the Rum Balls I used to get from a little Bakery in Downtown Toronto. I used to stop there when I was in University. They made sandwiches and sold drinks and Rum Balls made with left over day old cake. Yum! I even saw them blacken red peppers on the gas grill one day. When you bit into the Rum Ball you could see the different kinds of cake inside. I haven't found a rum ball to match the memory of these yet.


Today I made a chocolate gluten free cake mix. Then I broke it up into tiny pieces and added a whole container or chocolate icing.

After tasting it I decided it needed vanilla (madagascar bourbon vanilla) and pure chocolate extract and Appleton's Rum. Gluten free often lacks flavour or is way too sweet.

I let the mixture set for awhile and then rolled it into little balls and rolled the balls in chocolate sprinkles.

Then I cooled them again (in the garage, 'cause it is really cold here right now) and then I had gluten free rum balls.

They taste alright but they aren't Rum Balls yet. Sharon says they need more rum next time. I'll keep experimenting until I find the right combination. Oh, why gluten free? Well I can't have rum balls in the house if I can't share them with my sister can I? And she is gluten free at the moment so what can a good sister do but share? BTW Sharon's iron levels have gone up while going gluten free but she isn't gluten sensitive according to her blood tests. Hmmmmmm!

2 comments:

  1. now it seems to me that if you have just ENOUGH rum in those balls you wont care what they taste like .. just dont drive for a while after eating them!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy......I had a co-worker who made the best but she would never give us her recipe. There must be some secret ingredient...LOL

    ReplyDelete