Saturday, 13 July 2013

Holiday Sewing Kit and Our Trip to Ottawa

Sharon and I and our Mum,  recently took a trip to Ottawa, Canada's capital city. We stayed in a great hotel and visited all the tourist spots. We saw Ottawa by taxi, double decker tour bus, walking and tour boat. We saw embassys, modern and old architecture, the Museum of civilization, Sparks Street, the changing of the Guards, sculptures and restaurants. It was very interesting to watch the changing of the guard, it was our first time seeing it and I felt very proud to be Canadian.
Maurice Richard played for the Montreal Canadians from 1942 to 1960

Horses by Joe Fafard

Called, Maman by Louise Bourgeois, it has 26 marble eggs in the sac under it's body. It represents the artist's mother? I promised my Mum I would never make her a spider!
One of several Lions around the Post Office near Sparks Street

Museum of Civilization. Beautiful building!

Shot from the top of the bus.
The Canadian War Museum, the little windows spell out "Lest We Forget" in Morse code in English and French.

Back of the Parliament buildings from the water. The round building is original. The rest had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1916.

Inside the museum of civilization.

Rideau Canal locks and Bytown Musem from the water.

I put together a sewing kit to take with me for those down times when we wouldn't be sight seeing and I didn't feel like reading. I cut 3" x 3" squares to make hexagon flowers. The fabric is from a prize I won last summer. I used a box and put everything inside for our trip.


I have finished gluing enough hexies for 5 of each colour flower so with 6 colours, I have made 30 sets of flowers ready to stitch together.

Yesterday I got 2 flowers sewn together.

Now I realize I will need more flowers so I have started looking through my stash for fabric that will fit in with the colours I have already chosen.


Although if we keep going on these little adventures it will eat into my fabric budget! (Just kidding Sharon) Can you imagine? I didn't get to one Quilt shop while in Ottawa! Something is wrong with the world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment