Sunday, 28 April 2013

Circular Sewing Attachment!

I have been looking at circular sewing attachments for awhile now. I covet one!

Husqvarna/Pfaff circular attachment
I see the projects that people are making and I want to do it too
I looked at a vintage attachment but it won't fit on my Husqvarna. It will fit on my Singer 301 or my Featherweight but they are straight stitch machines. I know I can use my zigzag attachment but I don't like the way it shakes the machine. While searching I found a reference to people using popsicle sticks and thumb tacks to make their own attachment. So I thought okay I can do that too.
http://scrapsaplenty.blogspot.ca/2009/02/starting-up.html

http://thehabygoddess.blogspot.ca/2011/03/use-thumb-tack-tape-to-sew-perfect.html

I  found these pictures after I made mine. My design was based on a popsicle stick but I didn't want to use a stick because it might split and there would be a bump.

I searched through my sewing stuff and found plastic quilting template material. I cut a strip 2" by the width of the sewing machine throat.


Then I chose where I would tape it to my machine and measured from the center needle position. I marked the measurements on the plastic with a thin sharpie marker.


Then I used a needle and poked a hole on the line at each inch and half inch.

I need to use black marker - I thought I was on the 5 not 4.5!!!

Many people say they used a thumb tack and an eraser to cover the point. I found a broken tie tack in my jewelry box. I had to bend some metal edges but it worked perfectly and I have a nice gold cover for my pin.  Then I got my fabric ready. I cut a 10" square of white Kona and some Pellon I had lying around. I ironed the pellon onto the back of the fabric.
You can see the tack sticking out - careful cover it up!

Next I gently folded the square in half from both sides to find the center of the circle. (I made a mistake - not good to use white fabric and fold gently - next time I would use a fabric marker.) Push it onto the tack.
There's my fancy tack cover and look a circle is starting!




Now it's time to sew. Let the machine move the fabric and it will travel in a circle. Make sure you have a full bobbin - I ran out :( but that is one reason I chose to position the plastic away from the bobbin cover.
Not bad for home-made!

Here is the finished circle. I would put a drop of fray check on the back or you can use your method of preference to secure your threads. I had to run out to visit my Mum so I didn't get to use any other stitches/sizes or shapes YET! Now all I have to do is find a nice person who will photocopy their pattern sheet so I can make flowers etc. Or I was thinking I could enlarge a Spirograph dial and try that?
Update:
Here are 2 photos of circle work I have done. The first photo is the same yellow circle as above, the fabric was folded so it appears that the circle is dented, it isn't! I like the second circle and can see making a series of circles similar to this for a quilt. I'd like to use a stabilizer that disappears before I sewed them into a quilt.
Spirograph!

The circle is not bent just the fabric!

5 comments:

  1. Turned out wonderful!! I have the circle thingy with my Singer HD100. I only tried it once...lol
    I must look at that again. it is a table with the little spike type thing for the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful information. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is perfectly simple and simply brilliant! I have been researching the new Pfaff Circular Attachment and would have to live on dry bread and water for a month to pay for it so after Googling homemade attachments and finding yours I am so chuffed. I can do this myself and will. Thank you so much for sharing your clever idea and showing the photos of how it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great, it works so well, thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete