Friday, 15 March 2013

Baby in the Jungle

Oops! That's supposed to be Bungle in the Jungle baby quilt.
Bungle in the Jungle

My friend at work is having a baby and she loves blue (for the Toronto Maple Leafs) and green. I saw this charm pack and it had both colours in it so I thought it would be perfect for a baby quilt and it would go with the colours in her home. She's also having a boy so it seemed appropriate.

Now I like charm packs because you get all the fabric in the line, but, once I get them home I'm not always sure what to do with them. I didn't want to sew them in a patchwork square. I've already made 2 twister quilts, and I wanted to make something new but not toooooo difficult. I thought about doing a Disappearing 9 Patch, so I searched the internet and came across a Disappearing 4 Patch tutorial instead. I sewed 4 - 5" squares together in a block and I cut the strips 1 1/4" wide so I'd have more fabric showing in the alternating strips.
Here are some photos of how to put this together.
Plainer fabrics
Animal fabrics

After I had sewn everything and trimmed the blocks I sewed all the block together.
The blocks went together much better after I trimmed them!

Sharon (my colour consultant) came over and helped me arrange the blocks so that we didn't end up with too much yellow or red in one area. I decided to look up quilting videos and came across a video by the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Their quilt block is made of 2 of the same solid squares and 2 patterned squares. They move their block pieces differently and they also rotated the center block. I can see how rotating the center block would have moved some colour around the block but I'm okay with what I've made.



Sharon wanted me to put a border on it so we bought some Kona yellow for the border and the backing. I loaded it on my frame and I'm quilting it today and maybe tomorrow. It depends on how my back holds out.

5 comments:

  1. What a super quilt. I love those prints for a wee boy! You are getting on well with that enormous machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors in the quilt and the D4P does make a great baby quilt....I'll gave to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lainee try the video if your using 2 colours it will turn out better. My way is fine with busy fabrics. Thanks for dropping by!
      Barb

      Delete
  3. It's very sweet. I like that line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! Hope your having fun on International Quilt Day!

      Delete