Saturday, 5 January 2013

Charm Packs and Bias Issues

A while back I started a project using charm packs. I used an idea I saw on a blog to sew around 2 charm squares then cut on the diagonal to make 4 HST.
Sew around outside, quarter inch.


Cut in half on diagonal.

Cut triangle in half on diagonal.
Open and press = HST

Then I started making a zigzag design. I sewed along until I reached the length I needed then I started piecing the strips together.

I guess I had stretched the HST or hadn't measured them to make sure they were all the same size? My strips didn't end up being the same length. :(

So I took them all apart and trimmed them to the same size. Then I went on a google search to find a different way to use my HST. I found a better way to make a zigzag quilt using rectangles so there would be more accuracy.
Quayquilter

I found a website that showed a different way to arrange the HST that I hadn't seen before.
Nancynearphiladelphia

One lady had made her's in one colour and the other had made her's with multiple colours. So I thought I'd give it a go.
Here are the HST's laid out to spread out the patterns.

There was still some stretching when using the HST because of the bias cut so I did have to ease and stretch to make sure all the strips ended up close to the same size, but this time the difference in size was minimal.
I love how it looks like it wraps around a pole. I'm thinking about how to quilt this to accent that effect.

I've added white strips in between the red patterns and now need to add thick or thin white borders to the outsides, top and bottom. I'm not sure if I'll do anything else to the design like a thin red border to frame it or just leave it all white then bind it in red? I'm not sure, any ideas? I'll keep you posted with my progress. Somewhere in the basement I have red fabric which might match the reds in here or I might have to go (psst! don't tell Sharon) to my LQS to find a red to go with it.


3 comments:

  1. I always seem to have stretching issues with HSTs too - its so frustrating! Great looking projects though - keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fabulous design. I've never seen it before and yes it does look like it wraps around a pole. Have had a similar issue with half square triangles done that way too. I did read somewhere if you starch them it helps but you do also need to check the size after you cut as they aren't always accurate when doing them that way

    ReplyDelete