Sunday, 4 November 2012

It's Time to Get Back to It!

It's funny how in times of grief we loose our sense of taste, we only want carb laden foods and tea.  So after a couple of weeks of eating plain comfort food we were looking forward to something a little tastier and complex.  As I spent some time this morning catching up on my favourite blogs to read and came across this recipe for Kale, Feta and Carrot Toss at the Sweet Potato Chronicles blog and it sounded wonderfully simple.  I grated 3 large carrots, chopped 1/2 a red onion, washed and chopped some beautiful organic kale (I didn't have the zucchini the recipe called for).  Everything went into the pot along with the salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water until everything was almost wilted through then I added the feta cheese.  I used goats feta and it melted into a thin silky sauce which was soaked up by the brown rice I served it on.



This is definitely a simple, quick dish that is tasty enough for a week night but it could also be a great dish to serve to friends who pop over at the last minute!

Barb here!
Not only have we been eating comfort food but one of our sweet neighbours brought us a pan of goodies and some icecream. The pan contains "Sleazy Brownies" I asked her why they were called sleazy and she said because they were so easy! There is chocolate chip cookie on the bottom of the pan then double stuffed Oreo cookies and then the next layer is brownies. OMG, they are so good. We will have to share them with friends or we will not fit into our clothes any more :)
OMG These are sooooooo good! Even better with icecream!
I have had the Zig Zag quilt on my LA frame since mid September. I've tried to work on it on weekends and week nights when I had enough light.
I floated the top because I didn't want to rip it by putting too much stress on it.
 Well today I finally finished it,




and have taken it off the frame and trimmed the extra fabric away. I am in the midst of making the binding out of the purple polka dot fabric right now! I am so happy to have it finished, now I can decide what my next project will be.
The back of the quilt.



I do need to practise pantographs from the back of the frame. So, I might make a quilt from charm squares so I can quilt a pantograph that suits the fabric(and my experience). Right now though, I need to level my frame. The frame is on rug and as it has sat there it has settled into the carpet and become unlevelled. I fixed it once but it has become increasingly more unlevelled, it is like quilting uphill then racing down hill when I move over the joints in the frame. I think I will need to call my dealer or HandiQuilter for some help.

Sharon and I have just reached our 100th post and we want to celebrate with a giveaway! We have each chosen some special things and we have been giving you clues over the last few weeks.



We are now going to show you the prizes.  We'll be letting our Random Generator chose the number for us, in other words we are going to use Poppy our dog to help us pick the winner. We'll show you pictures of how this works in a upcoming post. We'll be picking a winner next Sunday morning. In order to be a winner you have to leave a comment and be a follower of this blog. So now for the prizes.


From Sharon,


I love aprons! 
They can be fun, quirky and extremely practical when working in the kitchen.
You can never have too many!
I love the Autumn colours in this print.
Hopefully you will too!
Measuring spoons.
How cute are these!
I think I'm going to have to get a set for me too!

From Barb,
An apple pincushion. Made by me!
The inside. A slice of apple for your needles.
A little pouch with a measuring tape inside.

I thought the title was appropriate for our 100th post.
Don't forget to follow us and leave a comment letting us know that you are one of our wonderful followers or have recently joined us!  Good luck to everyone! 



  

                                     and

11 comments:

  1. Hey! Congrats on 100 posts. Darling prizes---thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 100 Posts!!! I just became a new Follower! Your Blog is Awesome! LOOOOVE your Quilt...and the quilting! Also love the prizes you have in your Give-Away!! Apple is Adorable!! & Apron will get loved to pieces! lol

    Thanks for chance to win them, and the book! YAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the exquisite quilting! And congrats on 100 posts! I sure will follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks wonderful!! great quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the quilting on the zig zag quilt looks quite nicely done! Love it! and happy 100! I totally enjoy reading your blog posts and will be back often...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 100th post. I'm a new follower:) I was looking at some of the recipes you posted and the naked samosas look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 100 posts! I had to stop reading the recipe for Sleazy Brownies. Just too tempting:) Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the 100 posts! Great prizes too!
    hulseybg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 100 posts. That's dedication. I am a new follower, happy to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100 posts! Awesome... Love the little apple pincushion... how great is that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete