Sunday, 16 September 2012

Where Did Barb Go?

I know I know, it's been awhile. I haven't been near my sewing machines for 2 weeks!!!!
http://www.pdclipart.org/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0
I'm back to school/work now so it's back to the grind.
Up at 5:30
In the car by 6:30
At work by 7:30.
I put my purse down and it starts! It's like jumping on a tread mill that's moving.
http://www.pdclipart.org/thumbnails.php
It goes like that all day. Sometimes I look up and realize I forgot to eat my lunch. :(
Then it starts again.
In the car by 3:45
Back home by 5:00 (It takes longer to get home)
Dogs fed and our dinner, clean up, do some school work
10:00 go to bed and start all over again.
http://www.wpclipart.com/animals/dogs/cartoon_dogs/cartoon_dogs_4/sleeping_dog_on_back.png.html

Sharon and I have started trying to get to bed by 10:00 P.M. We used to go to bed at 11:00 - 11:30 - 12:00? Then get up at 5:30 - it was scarey watching us move around in the morning and I really had to fight from falling asleep while driving home.

Enough about that, back to quilting.

A while back I bought a couple of vintage quilt tops on eBay to practise my LA quilting on. I saw one that I really liked and finally won it. I like the colour purple and the zigzag effect of this quilt.

They arrived over the summer and sat in my pile. Today I got out the fabric for the backing and got it ready to load on the frame. Drats, I didn't buy enough.

Oh well, piece some fabric from my stash and away I go. When I looked at the quilt closely I noticed the purple fabric looked washed out, not sure if it is supposed to look like that or it faded when someone washed it? It certainly didn't look like that in the photos!
Fading seems to follow fold lines.

Typical storage spots on vintage quits

I got it loaded and then I needed to pick some thread.

Now it is Sunday and no Quilt stores are open for the next 2 days so I have to use something I already have.
Too much red in the variegated thread.

Close enough I guess!

I tried 2 options and although the mauve doesn't seem to match it did end up blending in very nicely, I will have to buy another spool because this is going to take a lot of thread!
On the purple I am quilting straight lines to follow the path of the zigzag.
Most of the purple will be straight lines following the zigzag path.

I had some fun with this section, it's at the beginning of the zigzag path.


I haven't decided what to do in the off white sections. I will SID first, then who knows?  I know I want to make something smooth, round or curved to contradict the lines. Any suggestions? (not pebbles please!!!) I'm also having problems with the corner stitching staying pointed. Will have to keep working on the tension, perhaps the top tension needs to be loosened just a tweak? Well this will keep me busy for a while.

Oh and keep an eye out. We are getting close to our 100th blog post and we will be having a give away for one of our awesome followers. You could win too, just follow us and we will include you in the draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment