Sunday, 23 September 2012

The Continuing Saga of the ZigZag Quilt

Well it has been a week since I last worked on my zigzag quilt. I have finished all the ruler work on the first pass and now I'm starting the white section. I didn't want to do pebbles again, one because I already did pebbles on my quilt, "Things Aren't Always Black and White" (for the Dresden Challenge).



Pebbles take a lot of time and a lot of thread!









By the way I didn't win a placement (1st, 2nd or 3rd) but I won a draw prize for my category. I won a Robert Kaufman fabric bundle PLUS an EZ Quilting Ruler. Can't wait to see what the fabric is and which ruler it will be!







Back to the zigzag quilt, so I decided to try the paisley design. I'm not sure if that is what it is called but that's what it looks like to me. I realized it will use a lot of thread and take a lot of time too! I find it hard to see where I am going with white on white. I had my reading glasses on this time and I tried my progressive lens last time. I might have to try a new light source. My standing Ott light gets in the way and the shade and light bulb fell out last time so I'll keep looking at what we have. The over head light is a ceiling fan with 4 bulbs (low wattage).


















Oh well, I am trying to get better at my designs so this will help. There is some discolouration on the muslin. Remember this is a vintage quilt I got off eBay to practise on.

 I loaded my quilt sideways so I have a long pass to quilt but I am able to get more continuous line work done.

<-------Top of quilt                                      Bottom of quilt------>
Here is the continuous line work in the middle of the zag part of the zigzag! Hand sewn quilts are not straight!
Here's the quilt with the line work and the paisleys.

I think I like the quilting, I wanted the quilting to contrast each other and I think this works. I'd love different suggestions for another time. Now I just have to finish it! Like I said the white on white is hard on the eyes and I need to take breaks or my eyes just seem to blur and I can't see where I am going or where I have been. I'll keep you posted on my progress and I'll show you my prize when it arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment