Sunday, 16 September 2012

Quinoa - A Different Approach

I love Quinoa and use it quite frequently because of it's ease in cooking, high protein content which is important for us veggie heads, nutty flavour and adaptability.  With quinoa being so quick to cook and cool down it makes this recipe faster than it looks at the beginning.  Zesty Quinoa Cakes is from a blog that I was reading by Gina Matsoukas, but unfortunately I printed the recipe and moved on before I wrote down the name of her blog.  I will try to search back and find it, my apologies to Gina but she had a great recipe, I had the ingredients, so it had to be made.

 Hey I found the blog Running to the Kitchen.


1 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon capers
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons  AP flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for frying

1.  Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a large bowl and mix until fully combined.
2.  Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
3.  In quarter cup scoops, form the quinoa mixture into patties
4.  Place patties in skillet and pan fry 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown, adding additional olive oil as needed.
5.  Serve with additional lemon or a dip made with sour cream, lemon juice and avocado if desired.



Here are the changes I made - what you didn't think I wouldn't did you?!?

1 egg was not enough to hold the mixture together so next time I would add 2 eggs.
I omitted the capers, can't stand the things.
I used a white onion since the would probably not get cooked all the way through and have a much milder flavour than yellow or red onions do.



Since my mixture would not form patties I used a ring, filled it with the mixture, pressed down and then removed it.  Flipping the cakes was a little difficult hence the extra egg next time!

I serve the cakes with a bed of lettuce with sliced beets and feta cheese drizzled with a little White Balsamic Vinegar on top.  The cakes have a little crunch to them and the lemon and onion flavour are subtle but tasty.

Eat well!


No comments:

Post a Comment