Monday, 17 September 2012

Oops! Close Your Eyes!

Naked Samosas!
I did tell you to close your eyes.  
Barb's covering up her samosas!


I love Samosas, but more the filling than the pastry coating, so when I found this recipe in the August issue of Cook Vegetarian:  Meat-Free Food Made Easy ...
It was love at first glance!


They are super simple to make especially if you have left over potatoes from dinner the night before.  I also think you could prepare them the day before, leave them in the fridge and then cook them up.  The flavours would really meld together well and be even more scrumptious!  (My new word!  Look for it!)

Here is the recipe:
4 medium russet potatoes
2 tbsp light olive oil, plus extra for cooking
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds (I used mustard powder)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated ginger (I didn't have any so I left it out)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (I used ground cumin)
1 tsp fennel seeds (I didn't have any of these either)
75g frozen peas, defrosted
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 small bunch coriander, finely chopped (but don't tell Barb - I forgot to add this and yes we did have it!)


  1. Peel and wash the potatoes (I left the peel on). Cut each into eight pieces and put into a medium saucepan.  Cover with cold water and bring to the boil, cooking for 15 minutes or until just cooked.  Drain well then tip the potatoes out onto a clean chopping board to cool and dry and then place in large bowl and roughly mash.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat.  Add the mustard seeds and cook until the seeds start to pop.  Add the onion and cook, stirring for about 4-5 minutes, until golden brown.  Add the garlic, ginger, cumin seeds and fennel seeds and stir-fry for one minute, until aromatic.  (I actually added all the spices at this point to heat them up and bring out their flavours.)
  3. Add the peas and mix through.  Pour the onion mixture over the potatoes.  Add the turmeric, sea salt, chilli powder, garam masala and coriander.  Use a large spoon to stir, making sure the ingredients are really well combined.  Set aside at room temperature for an hour or two for the flavours to develop or refrigerate until needed (I gave it 1/2 an hour - hey I was hungry!)
  4. Using slightly wet hands, roughly divide the mixture into eight equal portions and form into balls.  Gently pat down to make a patty.
  5. Preheat the pan/hot plate etc., and drizzle a little olive oil to grease.  Cook the patties for 10 minutes each side, so they have a golden crust.  Serve with mango chutney, yoghurt and fresh coriander sprigs,if liked.  Serves 4ish  :)

I added some steamed broccoli and baby bok choy as a side along with some non-fat Greek yoghurt.  

The recipe looks daunting but really you just mash some potatoes, throw the onions in some olive oil and then add the spices, add the peas to coat and then throw it all in the potatoes, stir, form patties, cook, eat and enjoy! 

Oh, bye the way, here's a little hint from my part of our upcoming 
100th Post Celebration Give Away!


Eat well!


1 comment:

  1. oh yum! I confess I like their pastry too, but this definitely sounds good!

    ReplyDelete