Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Finally Finished My Dresden Challege!

I know I've been teasing you with pieces of this quilt. I have been working on it between our day trips. I keep adding pieces to it and showing a little more of the quilt. I am linking up to the Salt lake Modern Quilt Guild's Dresden Challenge. The link will be open from September 1- 6th.

I'm entering the Innovative category, the quilt has to be 50" minimum on one side and use the EZ dresden ruler to create an unusual design. I'm not sure my design is unusual but it isn't traditional. So without any more delay here is the finished quilt.
I'll try for a new photo when the sun moves!
The back!
I washed the quilt and love how soft it feels. I took more pictures with less sun.


Yes I still have to sew the rod pocket down!

I have to sew down the hanging sleeve and I'm going to throw it in the wash to get the marker out. I used the Frixion pen and I keep reading that it can come back so I'll wash it to get it out completely.
The "grey" area is quilted by following along the side of each block and turning in until you meet the center then I traveled to the next block.
 I am still learning about my LA machine and still dealing with tension and some stretching but hey this is my 4th quilt on my frame so I am a newbie!



Here is the back after washing it. Not bad for LA quilt #4.

I tried different kinds of quilting to show off the different areas of the quilt. I was trying to make the quilt draw you into the center of the quilt design by making the borders get bigger as they came out from the quilt.



I've decided to name this quilt "Things Aren't Always Black and White" and I'm dedicating it to my Dad. As a teenager I had lots of loud discussions with my Dad who always saw the black and white and really couldn't see the grey areas between, you know the what if? kinds of discussions. Later when he developed Alzheimers he left the black and white area of the world and kind of lived in the grey area not sure of himself or his abilities or who we were. So he was my inspiration for this design, the first quilt I have designed, pieced and quilted. My Dad was able to build cupboards, oil paint, work with copper foil, carve/paint decoys and fishing lures, create a beautiful garden make pretty well anything we needed and he fixed our cars all with less than a grade 8 education! We miss you.  Be at peace until we meet again Dad! August 19, 2010.
 

17 comments:

  1. Barb, I absolutely love your "things aren't always black and white" quilt. The quilting is wonderful too. I also loved reading the inspiration for the quilt and it's name. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt, and I just love the way you have quilted it. What a perfect name for thee quilt, it makes it extra special. I found you over at Lily's quilts. Lovely to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks amazing! I love your quilting, and your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It is very striking, and very thought provoking. Your quilting looks great, I think you chose perfect designs for this one. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Amazing quilt. I love the black, white snd grey with a plash of wine/plum (depending on the monitor). Then I read the story behind it, and it makes this quilt even more beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!! I just think it's so fun and unique. I love seeing all the different things people are doing with the Dresden ruler. Your quilting if fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt reminds me of a chess board! :) It's a very cool design, and I really like all of the different quilting. Such a sweet story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a quilt - not only that the pattern is wonderful, but also the quilting is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool quilt! The quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb, I just love it!! I can't imagine the time you spent on the quilting alone!! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting on this is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes me want to get a long arm machine even more! I love your design and the details are amazing. Also enjoyed reading about your inspiration, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt.......love the colors and all the quilting! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this quilt! Your quilting is great!! Love the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barb,
    Congrats, you've won the random prize drawing for the Innovative category. Please email me your address. I have some information for you as well.

    Thanks
    Elisa

    elisaalburyquilts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete