Friday, 20 July 2012

Squash Blossoms!

Today is Friday so it's Farmer's Market day!  We still have lots of fruits and veggies in the fridge from last week (too many lunches out while on holiday!) so it would be a quick visit this week.  I can't believe how early everything is - peaches in July? sweet carrots? red currants? sweet corn? -  all so early due to the hot weather.

After picking up our few items and chatting with the farmers we picked up our iced coffee even though it was spitting rain and wait for it . . .  a little chilly!  Yes!  The humidity has broken and we have had two wonderful summer days without the A/C.  We strolled the last aisle and saw the most beautiful orange squash blossoms!  I have always wanted to try cooking with squash blossoms so here was my chance.

Squash blossoms after cutting off the stem, removing the pistil and rinsing in cool water.

I had heard/read that fried squash blossoms were made with ricotta cheese which isn't one of my favourites and I never have it on hand.  At the market though we sampled, and of course bought, some goats cheese with green and red peppercorns so I thought I would substitute it for the ricotta.  If you've read any of my other posts you will have noticed that I really don't follow recipes very well and I kinda just go with what I have, what I like and what I think will go well together.  So that's how I made my filling.  I had green and red peppercorn goats cheese,  a couple big spoons of plain yoghurt to help thin it out a bit, basil (because it was in the kitchen window), salt, dehydrated lemon crystals and just because ... some sunflower seeds!  I used red fife flour (because that's what I always have on hand for bread making) and added some Panko bread crumbs for crunch and two eggs.

Cheese mixture!
Stuffed blossoms!

 Stuffing the blossoms was a little messy and my first few have too much filling but I was able to fill them all and laid them on a plate until I was ready to "fry" them altogether.  I don't deep fry anything because I can usually get the same results from pan frying with much less oil and less waste.  I beat my eggs in a bowl, put my flour and Panko in a shallow pie plate and heated my large cast iron frying pan so I could make them all at the same time.
Here they are getting cozy!

Resting on paper towel to dry off a little.
I can't tell you how delicious these were!  They were crunchy on the outside, ooey, cheesey and oh so lovely on the inside.  Barb is working on a quilt behind me and she is still going on about them.  I think they're a hit!


Just so you can see the yummy insides - I wish I could send everyone a sample!

They don't need a dipping sauce but this went along really well - sweet and a little bit spicy, just like Guy (I love his hair)!

Shh! we're going Squash Blossom hunting this weekend!  The season is so short but we have two more farmer's markets this weekend to visit in order to find some more blossoms because they just might not be available next Friday.  When you eat in season and the season is this short you eat and enjoy because a year is a very long wait for things to come around again!  But so worth the wait in my opnion :)

Eat well!


2 comments:

  1. Zucchini blossoms are the best fried and stuffed with whatever you like.I grew up in Southern Ontario by the way.As for the Canadian Blogger badge their were two winners when there was a contest back in the day and I happened to come up with one of the two winnning slogans. I have not seen either around since, but use my own on my blog. You are welcome to borrow it if you like since it is something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you response! I have actually spent that past hour or so going through your blog. Love it! I also found the Food Bloggers of Canada website and registered with them. Congrats on winning the contest and thank you for your help.
      Sharon

      Delete