Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Free Motion Quilting Challenge - July

Okay I know it's the last day of the month again and here I am posting this month's FMQC! First I will show you the disaster I created with my poor Husqvarna Lily. I was trying last month's tutorial. I forgot how to set the machine up for free motion. Then I think my body memory has disappeared too! Don't forget I bought an HQ Avante to quilt on so now I can't get the motion with my hands. Look at this mess!!!

So I switched to the Avante to try Angela Walters tutorial. I started out pretty good, then I broke a thread, figured out the thread had wound itself around the thread guide twice ( huh, how'd it do that?) ran out of bobbin and didn't have any So Fine wound. Then remembered I had some of the sample bobbin left so I put that in. I did check the tension but - oh well - I'm still learning. :( I still get eyelashes now and then.
It looks better from a distance. The colour is better in this photo. maybe I can make a pouch out of it?
I quilted the borders with my ruler first then I went back in and filled in.

I think the wider borders look better.


I have a lesson coming up next week so I hope I learn more then, especially about the mechanics of the frame and machine. I'm driving to Fonthill, Ontario where I bought my machine. I hope to stock up on thread and needles as well as a bobbin tension gauge and maybe a top tension gauge.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/Notions/tension-gauges/


I haven't posted for a while because I have been working on a project to submit to the Dresden Challenge. I have been having "fun" ripping out seams and resewing them. Due to the angle of the wedge it is hard to make the corners match. I'll show more when it gets closer to the entry date.

Have a great day. Enjoy the sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment