Sunday, 24 June 2012

Tasty Treasures . . .

I'm always amazed at what treasures can be found where and when you least expect it!  When visiting my grocery store I always check out the reduced cart in the produce section.  I understand why some of the food is there, but every week we seem to find something that I would have bought at regular price.  Bananas always seem to be on the cart, beautiful barely ripe bananas and when they are a little too ripe they make the best banana muffins.  Today I found Broccolini at half price so I bought all four packages, 2 will go into tonights dinner!  I also visited our standup freezer in the basement to see what goodies are still tucked away.  Leeks!  All washed and chopped up for me!  Having a large freezer is great but sometimes things get lost so treasures like my leeks are a wonderful find as I thought we had used them all up!  Now on to dinner!


Chop the vegetables so they are about the same size depending on the pasta you choose to use.
olive oil
leeks
broccolini
garlic scapes (from the farmers market)
zuchini 
spinnach 
salt & pepper
pine nuts
goats cheese
whole wheat egg noodles (but you choose!)


Put pot of water on to boil and then add pasta about 2 or 3 minutes before adding oil to pan.
Heat pan and add olive oil then leeks and garlic scapes until almost tender.
Then add the broccolini and zuchini and cook until tender-crisp, add spinnach and season with salt & pepper.  Hopefully everything, pasta and vegetables, will be ready at the same time!  Scoop out a cup of pasta water and set aside.  Drain pasta and add to vegetables or depending on your pans the other way around!  Add pine nuts and goats cheese - I use a fork to break it apart as I add it.  
We love veggies so this was chock full of them but add or delete whatever you like.  I can't wait until baby beet greens are available at the market, this will look so pretty with a green tinge let alone taste great!  Eat well!





No comments:

Post a Comment