Sunday, 17 June 2012

In the kitchen ...

Usually when we do our grocery shopping we don't go anywhere near the prepared food section but, last week we passed by looking to see if they had a salad for dinner, since it was already late in the evening.  They had a Roasted Corn and Quinoa salad that looked good so we bought a small container to share.  It was really good, but way too expensive and I like to know exactly what's in our food, so time for a little investigation (I love doing this!).  I spread it out on a plate and looked at all the ingredients and then tasted some more trying to figure out the seasoning and dressing.  So here's my version of Roasted Corn and Quinoa salad. 





As you can see from me recipe below I'm not much into measuring!  I tend to try to use up things in the fridge and use alternatives if I don't have an ingredient on hand.  So add what you like in the way of vegetables and start slowly with the oil and vinegar, taste, and add a little more if necessary.  I found that the next day I needed to add a little more vinegar to give it a brightness that had mellowed over night.  

I chopped up the peppers into really small pieces so that everything was about the same size.  Then I added the onion, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar and tossed so that everything was coated.  When the quinoa had cooled I added it along with the rest of the ingredients and after adjusting the oil/vinegar so my liking we ate!  So good!


This was so simple to make and so I made a bowl of it to take to a BBQ with vegetarians and meat eaters and received great comments!  This one will go in my recipe file for sure!  

red pepper
yellow pepper
spring onion
ground black pepper
sea salt (don't use too much as the feta is salty too)
olive oil
white balsamic vinegar (next time I'll try Champagne vinegar - really bright flavour)
raw sunflower seeds
feta cheese
corn (from our freezer - last year's crop!)
quinoa


* I didn't roast my corn but put it in my cast iron pan until it was a little golden and the sugars were starting to cook, you'll know it's ready because it will started to smell wonderful!


If you make this dish let me know what changes you made to yours!  I'm always ready to switch things up!  

5 comments:

  1. well done you for sorting it out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Thanks for your comment! I was so excited when I got it - I'm such a newbie! I love to deconstruct flavours and recreate dishes that I have enjoyed from restaurants or shops.
      Eat well!
      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Looks great. What is quinoa? I don't think i've seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla, Thanks for your question! My first, yippee!

    Ah, quinoa! (pronounced Keen Wah)
    We found this ancient grain while at a vegetarian food show and fell in love. It is a complete protein which means it doesn't need to be matched up with another food to create a whole protein like rice and beans do. Quinoa is high in fibre, iron, riboflavin, calcium, vitamin E, ... the list goes on and on, truly a superfood up there with blueberries. It's also gluten free but the best part is that it taste great, is easy to cook and extremely versatile - eat it hot, cold; in salads, soups, as a side; add to vegetables or as a side dish in place of rice.

    Here's a link to a great site Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood.

    http://www.quinoa365.com/whyquinoa.html

    Enjoy and try some!
    Eat well,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, this sounds delish! I will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing & thanks for linking up to the {summer} table!

    ReplyDelete