Monday, 27 February 2012

Free Motion Challenge for February


Well I have been practicing my free motion quilting for February. Feathers!!! I seem to be able to do 2 or 3 leaves and then I loose it again.  




This is a technique I will have to practise a lot to feel comfortable with it. One problem for me is changing machines. I sew on a Designer 1 but I free motion quilt on my Husqvarna Lily 540 and I quilt on a frame with my Husqvarna Mega quilter 9" throat. This makes it difficult to get the feel for a new technique. I can do the meander pattern on both my Lily 540 with the fabric in front of me and on the frame but I need to break out and try new patterns. I also like to quilt in small tight spaces. I have been able to open my meander pattern and make it much bigger. Last month I used the leaf pattern on my class project and my sister's Hungry Caterpillar quilt for her kindergarten classroom.


My first attempts!

My best one of this group.


My second set of feathers.
The best one from this group.




(Sorry for the quality of the photos. I took them with my iPad in bad light. I can't upload photos from my iPad into my blog so I email and open them from my computer.)


I complained every time I finished a feather and Sharon yelled from across the room, "Do it again!" So I sewed and sewed but I can see that I will need to sew a lot more and practise drawing the shapes to get this shape into my brain and hands. Oh well, back to the drawing board.



2 comments:

  1. Oh....thank you so much for commenting on my feather....I appreciate it. I'm answering you here because I'm on the laptop....my mail isn't on here...

    The hand quilting I have been doing for over 25 years now...I quilt for myself...other people..and I also sell them...you could see some of my work on my website if you like....it is the red ball on the sidebar of my blog....shepody's quilter...

    ReplyDelete