Sunday, 22 January 2012

Free-Motion Quilting Challenge for January

Okay here goes! I received my email directing me to watch the video for January. I watched it several times, and practised on my iPad on a drawing app. Then I went to my Designer 1 and a quilt sandwich and tried my luck.


Attempt #1 Designer 1 and Konfetti thread
I am too small and a little tense!
On my first attempt I was a little shaky and I find as the machine motor goes faster my heart rate goes faster and I move faster. This makes the back not so pretty when you turn the corners.

Attempt #2 Designer 1 and King Tut thread
I went to attempt number 2 and changed my thread. I got a little better and I even threw in a few loops! I really wasn't enjoying quilting on this machine. It feels like the foot is always up in the air. So I changed machines and went back to my old faithful my Lily 540!
Attempt #3 Lily 540 and Konfetti thread but zero on the dials!!!
Attempt number 3, I forgot how to use her for a few minutes so I dropped the feed dogs and turned all my dials to zero (length and ?)
Back of attempt #3!



Nope that's not what I was supposed to do on my Lily that's what I'm supposed to do on the Husqvarna 9" Mega quilter!!!! 
Attempt #4 Lily 540 and Konfetti thread.
My leaves are larger and I am more relaxed.
Oh Boy! So I put the dials back where they should be and tried again. Attempt number 4! I loaded some new thread a friend gave me to try. It is King Tut, I had never used it before.

Attempt #5 Lily 540 and King Tut thread.
I still need to work on my shapes but it is better and I am more relaxed.
Attempt number 5 and I think I got it!

My Hungry Caterpillar quilt. I need to re-pin it. It is too close to the leader fabric.
I am going to try it on the quilt loaded on my quilt frame. It is The Hungry Caterpillar and the leaf motif will go well on the coloured sashes etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment