Wednesday, 10 August 2011

I'm Back!

We had this great idea back in June to begin this blog which we had thought about for a long time.  Then came the summer holidays and an online AQ (Additional Qualification) course.  I had no idea I would be spending so much time sitting at the computer working on this course.  It has been one of the most difficult courses I have taken.  I like to read things in print, make notes on the copy, and then write and edit and rewrite and edit - I'm no writer!  I'm sure some people who have taken the course thought it was easier to do online, I however, did not.  Anyways, after five weeks of reading, watching, and writing I'm back.

This week we picked up our CSA basket after a day of driving from home to Cookstown, to Innisfil, to Newmarket, to Uxbridge and back home again.  I was anxious to see what we had and since I haven't been doing much cooking lately thought I had better get back to it.  Too tired to cook dinner out came one of our Cabbage Roll creations that we put away last winter and inside our basket, more cabbage so instead of scalding my fingers making rolls I made lazy woman Cabbage Rolls.

Ingredients:  olive oil, 2 small cabbages, 1 pkg TVP, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 2 small onions, 1 kohlrabi, 1 yellow pepper, garlic, parsley, ground cumin, black pepper, bottle tomato juice and brown rice

Basicly I chopped the onion, kohlrabi and pepper and sauteed them in some olive oil until almost tender, added the garlic and stirred for about a minute.  Then I added the TVP and broke it into small pieces, added the canned tomatoes, parsley, cumin, black pepper and stirred until heated through.  The cabbage was cut into strips and added to the mixture.  When it cooked down I let it cool on the stove and cooked brown rice.  The rice was added to the cabbage mixture and left again to cool.  I found these great aluminum containers with lids so I scooped the mixture into seven containers until almost full.  Just before putting the lids on I took the jar of tomato juice and poured some over each container until it was all gone.  Put the lids on and sealed the edges.  Easy, pop in the oven dinners for this fall when things get busy again!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment