Sunday, 7 August 2011

The Hungry Caterpillar

I was looking through Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine (May/June 2008), and saw a pattern for The Hungry Caterpillar designed by Gail Kessler. It is based on the book by Eric Carle. Being a School Teacher and a Teacher Librarian I had to make this quilt.


I ordered 2 kits from the magazine and waited for them to arrive. I had never ordered anything from a magazine before so I was nervous. I wanted to make 1 for my class and 1 for my sister's class. I gave the kit to Sharon for her birthday and then life got in the way and it never got started. (See I told you last time there was a history of unfinished presents in our family - or is it just me?)

I wanted to get started on the quilt but I didn't have a lot of time during the school year. I also had a problem with the center panel of the kit. It wasn't in the correct order for the story or for the life cycle of a caterpillar. I think it was put in this order because the sizes fit nicely. I knew the children would tell me everyday that the pictures were in the wrong order.

I took out the fabrics and loved seeing the colours and textures from the book in front of me. The fabrics are from the Andover Fabric company.



I measured the pictures and the pieces of fabric in the kit and planned what I was going to do. I consulted Sharon because it was going in her classroom. She has a long narrow space that would be perfect for the quilt so I designed it to fit her space. As you can see from the cutting board it is wider than 6 feet!

I cut apart the panel and used the fabrics from the kit to make borders around the pictures. Sharon wanted a lot of the circle fabric in the quilt so I added more to the sides and the top and bottom. I cut the food fabric so it stayed in story order. I am happy with the results. It is very wide but fits her space.
I found a fabric to use on the back of the quilt that I think goes really nicely with this quilt. It is by the Robert Kaufman company and it is called, Chasing the Rainbow ll. When I get it sandwiched and quilted I will post a picture of the finished quilt. Now I have to design my quilt for my Library. My quilt can't be this wide so back to the design board I go. Any ideas? Let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment