Monday, 4 July 2011

Bargello in the Round

A couple of years ago I made a small Bargello quilt. I used the instructions in a magazine and a variety of batik fabrics.

 

I ended up with lots of extra strips of colours sewn into a tube. I saved them for a long time trying to decide what I would make out of them. I thought I'd make a bag or a purse.


Not too long ago I went on a Quilt Hop to Cookstown, Alliston etc. I saw an amazing quilt which I had not seen locally. It was a Bargello quilt but made in a circle. Of course I had to buy the instruction book but they didn't have the rulers yet. When I got home I started looking for the ruler (10 degree wedge) after some searching I found the 2 sizes quite by accident in my local shop. I sat down and read over the instructions then got to cutting the wedges using the mini ruler and laying them out on my dining room table.




Then once I was happy with the colours it was time to sew it together. I ended up with a 5 1/2 inch hole in the center. I used my scraps to make a wedge circle and hand sewed it in the middle. (My sewing looks awful if you look too close)



The "finished" quilt is 25 inches across. I still have some scraps left over. What do I do with them? A cover for my mum's Kobo reader? An ipad cover for my school's ipad? My plan is to now work on making a larger version. The great thing is when you cut out the wedges for one quilt the left over sections make a second quilt. Now all I have to figure out is what am I going to do with the sample quilt?


No comments:

Post a Comment